Reasons to Hire a Tribally-Owned 8(a) Business
As a tribally-owned, 8(a) certified business, Mill Creek offers unique benefits to government clients and contractors, granted by the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) and Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). Listed below is a quick explanation of the 8(a) program and the unique benefits of being both 8(a) and tribally-owned.
WHAT IS 8(A) CERTIFICATION?
The Small Business Administration (SBA) 8(a) program provides set-asides and business development opportunities for socially and economically disadvantaged business. Mill Creek has been an 8(a) certified business since September of 2018.
SOLE SOURCE BENEFITS
Working with a tribally-owned, 8(a) business offers a streamlined sole source process, with a simpler and faster procurement timeline. Specific benefits include the following:
- No dollar threshold on 8 (a) sole-source awards with Justification & Approval – Mill Creek is exempt from the $4 million cap set on other 8(a) companies, because we are tribally-owned. This saves time and money on market research, acquisition strategies, solicitation preparation, proposal review, and contractor selection. 13 CFR 124.506 (b)
- Sole-source contracting up to $22M without Justification & Approval. 13 CFR 124.506(b)(5)
- No Protesting 8(a) Awards – No other party can protest an 8(a) company eligible for a sole source award. 13 CFR 124.517(a)
- Ability to negotiate contracts directly with Mill Creek, ensuring flexibility and reliability. 13 CFR 124.503
- Reduced Procurement Time – Sole sourcing to a tribally-owned 8(a) company reduces procurement time from the federal average of 279 days to under 30 days.
DOD INDIAN INCENTIVE PROGRAM (IIP)
The congressionally-sponsored DOD Indian Incentive Program provides a 5% rebate to federal prime contractors that subcontract to tribally-owned organizations. 25 USC 1544
For more information on Mill Creek’s services, please visit our services page. Also, if you are interested in a construction contractor, our sister company, Prairie Band Construction, is 8(a) and tribally-owned, offering all the same benefits to government clients and contractors.